Rising CM Justification Tool Kit
In today’s lean economy, many travel and education budgets have been cut, but there is still a great need for employee training. The education you will receive at the 2016 Rising CM Conference is of tremendous value, and you may need to validate to management/superivsor your reasons for wanting to attend.
• Focus on what you will specifically bring back to the organization as return for the investment.
o Gain a New Perspective— “Between the sessions and conversations I have with other young professionals, the conference is full of great ideas. Sometimes I feel like a gold prospector finding the wonderful nuggets I can take back to work.”
o Learn and Share with Future Leaders— “I loved the interaction between attendees and industry representatives, the connections I made with other potential CM’s, and I even learned a thing or two from the students!”
• Focus on what your employer will gain.
o Build a Network and Create Long Lasting Relationships— “Rising CM allowed me to network with peers from across the country, all in one place. I was able to connect with individuals from grown companies to the ‘big guys’ in the industry.”
o Reinvigorate Your Passion and Receive Guidance— “The conference gave me a much better understanding of not only the path to becoming a CCM, but the importance of becoming certified. The motivation from others that are in a similar path is powerful and should be embraced!”
o Employees Meet Potential Hires—Who better to hire than another young professional who took the initiative to attend a conferences and took advantage of the opportunity to network?
• Offer to prepare and deliver a short presentation and Q&A to your colleagues to share what you learned. That way others in your unit will get the benefits of your attendance, too.
o Don’t forget about your local CMAA Chapter!
• Share the syllabus and speaker handouts with your colleagues. As an attendee, you will have access to materials posted by speakers.
• Be ready with a plan that shows who will cover for you while you are attending the conference.
• Be sure to register for the conference as early as possible to take advantage of registration discounts
Attending the 2017 Rising Construction Manager Conference can help spur new ideas, fast track project strategy, advance your professional skills and encourage business opportunities and growth.
Additional Resources to Help Justify Your Attendance
Read the article “How to Justify Conference Attendance” by Mike Doyle for conference expense and benefit worksheets that you can take to your supervisor to get approval to attend conference.